el Catavinos (the Winetaster)

Offers wine reviews of wines tasted in and available in Colorado Springs and Denver. General wine information, especially on the health benefits of wine.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Enter your email address below to subscribe to el Catavinos (the Winetaster)!


powered by Bloglet


Subscribe to Site Feed

Add to Google

Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Clos Mimi "Petite Rousse" Syrah 2002 What's the Final Verdict?

If you've been following the reviews here I have tasted and reviewed this Syrah 3 times at the least in the past year plus. The first time I tasted it was on Saturday April 3, 2004. Here's the review:
This wine is blended from 2 single vineyards. Wine is very dark, and has heavy legs. Taste is smooth and fruity, a little bit oaky, has nice fruit with berries and raisins, good wine. Grade: B+

The second time I tasted it was just over a month ago on Saturday April 23, 2005. Here's the second review:
This wine had a foul mossy nose. The wine has a mossy flavor, too much earth, and no discernable grape flavors, maybe even a little tea flavor. For my taste, this wine was terrible, I'm not sure what others saw in this wine, though some people thought it was fantastic. If you think something else about this wine, leave me a comment. Grade: F

Whoa, wait a second, an F? I didn't understand it myself, especially after I looked over the first review again. Let's see if a third tasting will shed some light on this. A third tasting took place on Saturday May 21, 2005. Let's see what we can come up with:
Inky dark with heavy legs giving away the 15% alcohol on this one. Has dark berries and strong earthiness, almost moss, on the nose. Spicy with fruit and deep flavors. Full-bodied, slightly dry with a medium finish. For more information visit Clos Mimi website. Grade: B

Now that's better. What could be some reasons for this? I would say that it was tasting its best at the first tasting and is starting to lose fruit due to age. But what about that second terrible review? I'm not totally sure, I would say a lot of it had to do with my mood that day. Maybe I couldn't handle the earthy nose, or maybe I hurried my tasting and didn't get good notes. I would say that if you are going to get a Clos Mimi "Petite Rousse" Syrah 2002, that you should do so soon, it might just be losing too much fruit. In my limited knowledge of wine I would say this is a good example of what happens when a wine hits its peak and starts losing fruit.