el Catavinos (the Winetaster)

Offers wine reviews of wines tasted in and available in Colorado Springs and Denver. General wine information, especially on the health benefits of wine.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
Enter your email address below to subscribe to el Catavinos (the Winetaster)!


powered by Bloglet


Subscribe to Site Feed

Add to Google

Monday, May 16, 2005

Old World vs. New World

Tonight I have the opportunity to attend an Old World vs. New World wine tasting. I have always assumed that I love Old World better than New World wine. I have found during recent months that my tastes might be shifting towards the more fruit forward newer style wines. I still do enjoy Old World wines as well, sometimes a good earthy wine is very pleasurable. As far as I can tell there are many differences. Old World wine is driven by the region or terroir. So when you taste old world Cabernet Sauvignon you are tasting the region of France it is coming from. New World wines are more interested, in the case of Australia for instance, in creating wine that is technically correct. They will control the conditions much more where Old World will let the weather have it's way with little intervention from the grower. In New World you are tasting the grapes and not the land. That's my limited understanding of Old World versus New World, tonight I hope to learn more, and later this week we will see which I prefer. Or maybe I like them both equally well.